Monday, April 25, 2005

sea fever

every time i see the moon glinting on the sea im reminded of this poem. its an old favourite of mine...

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

- John Masefield

1 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Eroteme said...

An interesting poem. I think I learnt it while still in school, and, like quite a few poems, forgot it readily once the exams were over.
I am not sure whether the ploy I state now was as clear then as it is now. It is always fun to forget things and allow them to come back to me on their own volition and surprise me with beauty and charm I wasn't wise enough to know then... :-)

Nice pick... You might be interested in the discussion on Minstrels.

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/27.html

Do keep giving us such cherishable reads...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home