Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Hickory Dickory Dock

This is a poem from "Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis" by Wendy Cope. She's one of my personal favourites as far as modern poets go. Never fails to get me laughing. ( The obligatory smiley smiles at you. )

A Nursery Rhyme


as if it might have been written by T.S. Eliot


Because time will not run backwards

Because time

Because time will not run

Hickory dickory


In the last minute of the first hour

I saw the mouse ascend the ancient timepiece,

Claws whispering like wind in dry hyacinths.


One o'clock,

The street lamp said,

'Remark the mouse that races toward the carpet.'


And the unstilled wheel still turning

Hickory dickory

Hickory dickory

dock

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Woodworm said...

LOL...!!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Dileepan said...

LOL! Wendy Cope is best known for her light verse. Looks like she has enjoyed parodying TSE! I recollect having read her parody on Wasteland: I think it is called 'Wasteland in Limericks'. It was hilarious: the sort of stuff that makes you roll on your tummy and laugh.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger TheLaddoo said...

Light verse?

That got me thinking. I tried figuring out what heavy verse would be, but I couldn't.

So I asked Google.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Dileepan said...

Whoa!

Wiki seems to churn out similar references.

For example, check here or here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home