Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Around the corner, a vanished friend

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end;
Yet days go by, and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year is gone,
And I never see my old friend's face,
For life is a swift and terrible race.

He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine. We were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men:
Tired with playing a foolish game,
Tired with trying to make a name.

"Tomorrow," I say, "I will call on Jim,
Just to show I am thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes - and tomorrow goes,
And the distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner! - yet miles away . .
"Here's the telegram, Sir. . .
'Jim died today'."

And that's what we get, and deserve in the end:
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

- by Charles Hanson Towne

2 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Gayathri Chandrashekar said...

Nice poem..

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timeless.
The man that told me of this
poem now lays in a hospital bed
"and deserve in the end"...
No one should be alone then. Where are the friends?
It was a foolish game

alwoods

 

Post a Comment

<< Home