Thursday, October 28, 2004

Ode to Death by Walt Whitman

Walt Whitman was one of America's earliest celebrated poets. He was known as the Good Grey Beard. His poems are usually about himself, plain and simple. He was also a great champion of the new found American democracy. A great deal of his poems are about the Civil War and the world after that.

I am not going to talk much about the following poem. I leave it crisp and fresh to your appreciation. Here's somebody who wants not only to "go gently into that dark night", but welcomes the night with a song that floats "over the tree-tops" with a great deal of joy.

luv,
Stangenlord


Ode to Death

Come, lovely and soothing death,
Undulate round the world, serenely arriving, arriving,
In the day, in the night, to all, to each,
Sooner or later, delicate death.
...Praise! Praise! Praise!
For the sure-enwinding arms of cool-enfolding death...
Have none chanted for thee a chant of fullest welcome?
Then I chant it for thee, I glorify thee above all,
I bring thee a song that when thou must indeed come, come unfalteringly...
Over the tree-tops I float thee a song...
I float this carol with joy, with joy to thee, O death.

-- Walt Whitman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home