Thursday, October 28, 2004

Sitting, Staring. Relaxing....Adding to the list, Alexander Pope

Hi,

Some really nice verses on "slowing down" being posted....I particularly enjoyed Seth's translation of Li Po and 'Leisure'. I am reminded of Simon and Garfunkel's lyrics. 'America','59th Bridge Song','Sounds Of Silence','Dangling Conversation'.... all very good pieces expressing the same feeling of loneliness,nostalgia,feeling lost in a mad world. Here's my favourite verse from 'Homeward Bound'.... just exactly how you feel when you are homesick.

"Tonight I'll sing my songs again, I'll play the game and pretend.
But all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.
Homeward bound, I wish I was, Homeward bound,
Home where my thought's escaping, Home where my music's playing,
Home where my love lies waiting, Silently for me, Silently for me."

Of course, you have to listen to the songs to really appreciate it. Please do so...if you haven't.

I contemplate often, if we would continue to suffer the same turmoil, if we would allow ourselves to drift away and to drown in this violent stream of life, if....if only we knew what fate has in store for us at the next step. The following is an excerpt from "An essay on Man" by the eternal cynic, Alexander Pope. This verse is one of my old favourites. Look at how he talks about how everybody is equal in the eyes of nature/God (as it suits you). Things that we think are great, and massive are just as significant as what we deem to be trivial things ....by the way they all vanish at one point. So, where are we going,without realising this?

from
An Essay on Man

Heav'n from all creatures hides the book of fate,
All but the page prescrib'd, their present state:
From brutes what men, from men what spirits know:
Or who could suffer being here below?
The lamb thy riot dooms to bleed today,
Had he thy reason, would he skip and play?
Pleas'd to the last, he crops the flow'ry food,
And licks the hand just rais'd to shed his blood.
Oh blindness to the future! kindly giv'n,
That each may fill the circle mark'd by Heav'n:
Who sees with equal eye, as God of all,
A hero perish, or a sparrow fall,
Atoms or systems into ruin hurl'd,
And now a bubble burst, and now a world.

Alexander Pope

Thoughtfully yours,
Stangenlord

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home