Monday, November 01, 2004

For Emily, wherever I may find her - Paul Simon

For Emily, wherever I may find her

What a dream I had
Pressed in organdy
Clothed in crinoline
Of smoky burgundy
Softer than the rain

I wandered empty streets down
Past the shop displays
I heard cathedral bells
Tripping down the alleyways
As I walked on

And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
Of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand
And when I awoke
And felt you warm and nearI kissed your honey hair
With my grateful tears
Oh I love you, girl
Oh I love you

-Paul Simon (with Art Garfunkel from the album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme 1966)

A pretty ordinary love song you might think, at first sight. Not if you know its history. This one was by Paul Simon, one of the very few genuine poets from the Rock and Roll generation - and the love song is addressed to that damsel - melancholy personified - Emily Dickinson. The fact that Emily was dead eighty years when Paul penned it makes no difference to us. The theme is not the familiar "poet-in-unrequited-love" - but a poet offering his love to another of a different age - doesn't really matter if it is of any use now. The love poem transcends time to the love-lorn Emily who spent her years in recluse in Amherst - writing bits and pieces of verses - which were never published until her death. She was a tragically lonely person - who had difficulty bonding with fellow humans - but was so perspicacious and had such a sense of beauty that all her verses drip with wisdom and imagery. A fitting tribute from my favourite band to my favourite poet. The only way to enjoy it better - is to listen to this song on a rainy day from the comfort of a cosy room..... and think of a loved one you know deserved better in life.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would never have guessed that the song was a tribute to Emily the poet! The tune that it is set to is eminently suitable in the sense that it drips sensitivity.

Aparajith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home